The purpose of St. John Lutheran Church, as God's chosen people is:
- Sharing with all people the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Serving with love those in need.
- Growing in personal faith
so that all would believe in Jesus Christ and be saved.
The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod accepts the Scriptures as the inspired and inerrant Word of God, and subscribes unconditionally to all the symbolical books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church as a true and unadulterated statement and exposition of the Word of God.
We accept the Confessions because they are drawn from the Word of God and on that account regard their doctrinal content as a true and binding exposition of Holy Scripture and as authoritative for all pastors, congregations and other rostered church workers of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Entire Book of Concord in PDF Format
1850's and 60's Lutheran's were migrating into the Newhall area and meeting in the schoolhouse across from the present St. John Cemetery. Rev. Phillip Studt of Luzerne conducted services - he was the only Lutheran Pastor in the county and was instrumental in starting churches at Newhall, Keystone, Atkins and Cedar Rapids.
Land had been purchased, currently known as St. John Cemetery, with the anticipation to build a church and provide a burial place for loved ones. In 1871, St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church of Eldorado Twp. Benton County, IA was officially organized.
The Constitution was drawn up and signed on Feb. 18, 1871. First congregational meeting was help on March 26, 1871. A dispute arose regarding their keeping the name 'Lutheran' and those of strong Lutheran heritage chose to move two miles north and meet in the Eldorado Schoolhouse #2. They were granted possession of the property which is currently St. John Cemetery.
In 1877, Conrad Kerkman, a founder of the church, donated a two acre tract of land across from the schoolhouse. John Senne, Conrad Kerkman and Martin Werning were appointed to make plans to build a parsonage, church and barn. The cost was about $1,300 .